Saturday, November 17, 2007

quarter century isn't so bad

I always think about posting during the week and then life catches up with me before I can sit down and type something. I'm also a bit overwhelmed by how much I want to share since everything here is so new and different. Posting always seems a bit daunting when it's time to convey the week I've had. I will say that this week was pretty wild. Work, in particular, was busy in a good way. I am juggling a lot of things at the moment, but it's manageable. I'd say the best part of my job so far has been getting to meet with clients. Things are very fast-paced and last minute so it's not uncommon to get invitations to client meetings or events and drop everything at a moments notice. This week I had a chance to meet up with a client for a promotional event at the Dusit Hotel. This hotel, by the way, is in the coolest building and the staff is incredible. It's like a scene out of the King and I upon entering the gorgeous, black marble lobby, adorned with fountains, flowers, and golden sculptures. Our client was launching the web site for a new Diabetes awareness coalition and the attendees included some higher-ups from the Ministry of Health. I got a chance to bump elbows with His Excellency Humaid Mohamed Al Qutami (the minister of health) and meet some journalists from Dubai Media and Dubai 1. We had a delicious lunch after the launch on the 24th floor of the Dusit overlooking the Burj Dubai and Sheikh Zayed road. Not too many complaints from this end!

The weekend has been a whirlwind with birthday celebrations. I will say that I woke up a year ago and decided that this year was going to be the best year of my life, and it really has worked out that way. I am loving life and will be really fortunate if 25 is even better. We kicked off the festivities with salsa dancing on Thursday night! I'm so lucky to live with a latina who enjoys shaking her hips just as much as I do. We got dolled up and met up with friends for some latin love. I had a chance to move around a bit before we headed over to the Madinat Jumeira. Saturday was glorious, with a full day at the beach followed by my own homemade meal for the house mates. I cooked up some pasta with pesto and garlic sauce, accompanied by my ali-oli that tastes good on just about anything. There's no need for modesty here since I'll admit - it's one of the most delicious things in this world! We hopped over to the Dubai Marine Resort, scattered with bars and clubs overlooking the Gulf. I met a fun group of Lebanese men who caught wind that it was my birthday, so they pumped me full of shots before we all headed over to a Lebanese night club with live Arabic music and dabke (one of the most fun things to do with your feet)!!! I am honestly sore all over from the festivities.
I've been a bit of a bum today after waking up at noon and getting lost with Sarah as we tried finding the Mall of the Emirates. Once we got there, we meandered over to Ski Dubai and checked out the slopes - no skiing today, but it was really something! I felt a bit childish peering into the huge window that showcases humans skiing indoors, but you really have to see it to believe it. Zaatar to finish off the night and now just feet up and head back while I respond to the amazing people that filled my day with loving emails and messages wishing me a happy birthday. I am indeed a lucky lady.

No comments: