Wednesday, February 20, 2008

the latest

Winter in Dubai
It's been a while since I last posted an album. Due to the overwhelmingly fast pace of work and play over the last month, I've been reluctant to post about some of the cool things that have happened since the beginning of the year. I'll give it a go: Pitched and won a proposal with the Sheikh of Sharjah, which subsequently led me to Arabic coffee for a couple hours in Emirates Towers with Neil Bush (George W's brother). No worries, my veins still run blue with democratic blood, but I would be lying if I told you I didn't enjoy meeting him (note: this is presumably because no mention was made of politics or corrupt business enterprises in the Middle East); attended the Dubai Desert Classic and bumped elbows with pro-golfers including Tiger and Sergio Garcia, as well as Prince Khaled of Saudi Arabia; sipped on 18 yr single malt scotch from the top of the Burj Al Arab hotel – the place is pretty tacky inside, but worth visiting at least once; jumped 10,000 ft from a plane in Umm al Quwain; spent a couple afternoons quad biking in the Arabian desert near the Hatta mountains; befriended an amazing group of Lebanese friends from Beirut; discovered a great place or two to go running along the beach; found the most amazing shawarma stand in the world; bought a plane ticket to Pakistan for the end of this month (I was invited to attend Faisal's sister's engagement); joined an ultimate frisbee team on Tuesday nights; started planning a business trip to Egypt in March; discovered a great spot to watch live rugby outside with a pint of Stella; discovered a faster way to get to the beach; got through and on air with my favorite morning talk radio show; visited Abu Dhabi; finally started to feel like I can call this place home.

No comments: