Friday, October 5, 2007

'san' day!

day numero san (three in Japanese). I honestly could fly back today and be a happy woman. I have had the time of my life so far. I walked miles and explored the subways and streets of Nagoya yesterday. Started off with a trek to the castle, which was breath taking. The original castle was destroyed during WWII, but the replicated version preserved the mystique and beauty of the spot. A tangle of exotic plants lined the gardens that were shaded by neatly trimmed bonsai trees and weeping willows. I ventured to the downtown area, where I was glared at like a celebrity with my cowboy boots, big curls, and unusually tall height! Apparently there is a large Brazilian population in Japan because many of them work with Toyota - that said, I was asked by a shop owner if I was from Brazil at which point I stumbled and blurted out something in English finished with a "konichiwa, origato" which means, "hello, thank you". That's all I know how to say, or at least that's all my mind will allow me to remember when expected to say something.

I did learn how to say something new last night. "Please try hard!"- this is what they shout consistently at their baseball games. Mike got home from school to find me awakening from a cat nap. I'm still not over the jet lag, but my excitement wakes me up early in the morning and keeps me up at night. I slipped into my Paul O'Neill tshirt and we were off to the subway to meet his friends. Apparently you can't get in trouble here for drinking in public, so we sipped on some grapefruit wine coolers that tasted a bit like Fresca while we waited for the train. As we grew closer to the stadium, fans poured into our car until we were pressed up against one another, grasping onto the plastic white rings overhead. The energy was incredible and the walk through the subway stop to the stadium was just as I had expected - shiny action shots of each player and snapshots of victories and team unity. As we reached the Dragon's dome, we were hit with a wave of smells and sounds. Everything from Chinese food to trumpets, techno music, and a pulse fueled by drums and trumpets that would not subside until the game was over. The fans are relentless and on queue consistently with each cheer. There is no swearing, no peanuts, no mess, no belligerence, no silence during pitches. Just consistent energy and innocent positivism from the crowd. At one point, we accidentally spilled a beer where we were sitting. Moments later we were approached by two women in white uniforms holding rolls of toilet paper- they diligently got on their hands and knees and started scrubbing and drying up the mess. People around us were so irritated by the spill that they even got up and moved to different seats! I kept thinking how appalled a Japanese baseball fan would be at a sox/yanks game and missed home for a fleeting second. Rather than shouting the encouraging obscenities we so often here in American sports, Japanese fans simply yell "please try hard, _____ <-- (players's name)". adorable.

The Dragons won in the 12th inning and we stumbled out of the park into a cab who eventually refused to take us anywhere because our destination was apparently too close and he wanted to make more money. The cab doors here open and close automatically, by the way! It's amazing. I went to reach for the door handle and it swung open and shut as I got in and out of the car. We eventually found someone who would take us to a Karaoke bar where we had our own private room and thousands of songs to choose from. Mike and I sang for about an hour and filled the room with harmonic duos echoing the lyrics of sir-mix-a-lot, Journey, Toto, and Juanes.
I'm off on my own again this morning. I found an orchid garden in my travel book that I am looking forward to checking out. I also need to find an ATM, which I have had no luck doing thus far. I'm meeting up with Mike for lunch and some fun at his school. Not sure what's in store, but it will be cool to meet his kids and see what the education system is like here. Tomorrow we leave for Tokyo...

No comments: