Thursday, October 4, 2007

ohayo

One of my earliest memories of wanting to come to Japan stems from a Sesame Street movie about big bird in Japan. He was amused that everyone here was from Ohio, when really they were just saying good morning (ohayo), as was confirmed today when I awoke to a smiling friend that I just traveled a long way to see.

I got in safe last night on a flight direct from Detroit to Nagoya. I'm not sure what channeled my desire to come here, but I figured that if I was going to do anything fun with my life while I had no work to do whatsoever, I might as well do a trip somewhere I'd probably never venture to again on my own. Japan seemed like a logical step! I have no itinerary whatsoever but to have fun. Today Mike set me up with a map, a metro card, and kindly lent me his phone so that I can do some exploring. I'm going to visit the Nagoya Castle and do some people watching on the subway. I am really excited to check out some local grocery stores too. I went to a Circle K drug store last night after I arrived and was amused by just about everything from the cleanliness of the bathroom to the kobe beef jerky on display. I also hit up a hole in the wall reggae bar where I found a super chill Japanese man with a slow, broken "engrish" accent working the tiny bar that was peppered with locals in dread locks and festive hair weaves and piercings. I think the Christina Aguilera version of "No Woman No Cry" that was somehow woven with Japanese backup singers really set the mood.

Tonight we are heading to a Chunichi Dragons game. Apparently baseball is out of control here with everything from world cup soccer-like fans to cheerleaders. I brought my Paul O'Neil t-shirt so hopefully I get some street credit with my adoration for the Yankees who are in the PLAYOFFS!! Wish I could sit around and watch some baseball this week, but I would have to do it over breakfast since we are 13 hours ahead of NYC. Anyway, off to explore. Pictures to follow.

No comments: