Friday, January 25, 2008

terrorism has no religion

I was taken aback by a political ad that came on yesterday and had to share it. This commercial is frequently shown across Arabic channels. I can't blame people for being concerned with my decision to move across the globe, but I was definitely frustrated with the general misconceptions about the region. Dubai, of all places, is the most politically sterile place I've ever been. There is definitely national and cultural pride, but as far as having a political divide goes, there is none. If anything, there is unity amongst the masses to sustain a peaceful and accepting culture in order to maintain the ideals set forth by Islam.

My biggest frustration is with the American media and its reluctance to convey an accurate portrait of Middle Eastern culture and values. Consi
dering how far we've come as a country with embracing culture, race, and even homosexuality, I find it frustrating that the media has propagated the idea that Arabs=terror. I have only had positive encounters with everyone since I got here - the rich, poor, Egyptian, Syrian, Kuwaiti, Iraqi, Omani, Lebanese, etc. Islam is a religion that shares peaceful and altruistic values with other widely accepted religions like Christianity and Buddhism. My Muslim friends here are more morally disciplined than anyone I know in the United States, as they refrain from abusing alcohol, drugs, or harvesting negative thoughts and feelings about others. I have already learned so much from them.
The misconceptions about this culture and region are real and unavoidable, which is why there are now commercials (on this side of the globe) and web sites designed by local non-profits whose mission is to help people understand and stick to their Muslim values and join together against terror. It's such a shame that Americans never get to see this side of things.

'
Terrorism has no religion' is the web site that aired the political ad I included above. It's purpose is heroic and something to be admired. Hopefully it starts getting some attention in the Western world.

Their Campaign:

All religions, human codes and ethics, and even our most primitive intuition regard terrorism to be villainous. True Islam also rejects and condemns terrorism.
‘Terrorism has no religion’ is our on-going communication campaign against extremist ideology that breeds terrorism, and we use Quranic Verses in their true Islamic meaning; free of the distortion committed by the misguided malicious terrorists.

Click here to learn more.

No comments: