Monday, March 10, 2008

Lahore

I was the first one at the airport. No problems getting my ticket, getting through security, and getting my bags checked. Mehr arrived only to realize that she had forgotten her passport, at which time Faisal and her brother had to turn around, retrieve it from their apartment and hustle back to Terminal 2 at DXB. With or without them, I think I still would have left for Lahore considering the hassle I went through trying to get there.

No one told me that sun dresses are not allowed in Pakistan. I should have known better, but the Shariah laws in Dubai don't really apply, and I was left with a suitcase of adorable summery attire that sat on the floor of Mehr's room the entire weekend. Fortunately, she had plenty of traditional blouses and pants for me to sport while I was there.

Lahore reminded me a bit of Latin America – everyone has a driver, a maid, a security guard, a cook, a gardener, and some extra hands to help around the house. In Pakistan, people drive on the left side of the road and the traffic there made me long for Dubai, which isn't saying much. We dodged rickshaws and horse/mule-drawn carts with the most random things imaginable. Certain parts of town were so congested with diesel-fueled rickshaws that I had to cover my mouth since my lungs started burning from the black smoke that clouded the air! The mother tongue in Pakistan is Urdu, but many people speak English as well. Most young men and women live at home with their families until they are married, and living on your own with a boyfriend or girlfriend is unheard of. Families are immense, friendships run deep, the food is out of this world, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking for another opportunity to return.

The parties we attended were like nothing I'd ever seen before. Most people hire companies to come and set up tents that host hundreds of people. Under the tent you'll find colorful carpeting, low benches with bright cushions, tables lined with spicy curries, and a variety of traditional lamb, chicken, and fish-based dishes. Pakistanis love their scotch, so the number of empty bottles of Black Label trumped the small collection of sour, Jacob's Creek consumed. Pakistani women are gorgeous with their big eyes, tan complexions and shiny, thick black hair. They rock the sari for fancier occasions (like Farah's engagement) and also sport the salwar kameez. I was able to capture all of the above in the pictures I took. Unfortunately, we did not have a lot of time to sightsee but the illustrative link will provide a glimpse of the fancy silks and jewels that garnished the weekend.


No comments: