Wednesday, March 26, 2008

this just in

Driving into work, my view of the bright blue Dubai sky was interrupted by an immense black cloud of smoke looming over the skyline ahead. Moments later I found out that an explosion took place in an [illegal] fireworks warehouse, setting off a chain of over 40 fires in a part of town called Al Quoz, which is on the way to the Burj Al Arab hotel. Not a very nice part of town, but still pretty unfortunate. check out the story here.

My question though - how is it possible to conceal an illegal fireworks warehouse in Dubai but get 4 years in jail for entering the UAE with poppy seeds on your clothes from a bread roll you ate 7 hours ago?! unbelievable

1 comment:

Jon Shea said...

I heard about that explosion on NPR on Wednesday morning! I think hey said it "shut down" Dubai, or something along those lines.

Hope things are going well.