Wednesday, May 14, 2008

i'm too sexy for my abaya

Before coming to the UAE, I was definitely guilty of reserving some feelings against the hijab and abaya. Like many people, I saw it as a form of cultural oppression and male chauvinism - perhaps it is in a way. I won't get into the thick of it since there doesn't seem to be a right answer. Let's just say that I've learned to embrace it as more of a cultural and religious statement than a form of oppression. I look at it this way - my Emirati girlfriends have never known anything else - they like wearing the abaya since it's light and flowy, you can spruce it up with fancy embroidering and sparkles, and it's simply a staple in the way locals dress here. My grandmother has never owned a pair of pants in her life, simply because it wasn't part of her upbringing nor did it become part of her style. Most Indian women choose to wear saris for the same reasons - it's all they've ever know and it keeps them in touch with their culture. Emirati women seem to choose the abaya for similar reasons. although some of them may wish to shed that black layer when the heat settles in, it doesn't seem to bother them since its a symbol of their cultural roots and preserves that sense of nationalistic pride. Little girls are not required to wear them, but I always wonder what they think about their mothers who do. I imagine that they look forward to it or simply expect it as part of their coming of age, kinda like I used to look forward to fitting into my mom's high heels and wearing lipstick like she did. ok, that may not be the best comparison, but basically every little girl someday expects to take on her mother's identity and persona in some way, so I imagine it works the same way in this case.

I found this article today and it got me thinking about the abaya as more of a fashion statement than anything else. Although we equate "modernizing" to "westernizing" it doesn't necessarily need to be that way here. Modernizing the abaya doesn't need to mean getting rid of it completely, but rather adding a few bells and whistles to the sleeves and trim. I think the lady pictured up top looks pretty fabulous myself, but I'll leave that for you to decide.

"Just because the women wear this doesn't mean they're oppressed." - student from the Virginia Commonwealth University

2 comments:

Jon Shea said...

It's not the abaya itself that's oppressive, it's the legal, religious, or social mandate that the abaya be worn that's oppressive.

If a women has the freedom to wear whatever she wants, and she wants to wear an hijab, then I'm willing to respect that as much as I respect any other regrettable fashion choice. When I see a women wearing a abaya in Central Park, I'm always kind of impressed (assuming she doesn't have a husband / father / brother at home who will cut her throat if another man sees her hair or ankles).

Cultural relativists always quote women who are happy with their place in Arab culture: they like wearing the abaya, they like not needing to vote, they get to exercise their political say through their husband, they don't want to drive cars their self anyway, all the women who get beaten by their male relatives deserved it, etc, etc. Maybe it's all true. Maybe if they grew up in a free country they'd still choose the life they have. I don't know for sure.

The UAE does, for an Arab / Muslim country, fairly well with women's rights. Maybe in the UAE the abaya isn't really indicative of a greater culture of female oppression. But, to say the least, I'm skeptical.

Veiled Muslimah said...

A little late here, but I just wanted to add, Muslim Wear outer garments for religious reasons also. Allah commands us to cover our 'beauty'. The Abaya does that perfectly. Yes, some religious aspects have been inter mixed with culture, but the religious aspect is still there.

For one, I love wearing the Abaya and Hijab :) And no, I do not 'feel' oppressed. I also cover my face, but that is my religious choice.